Ad/Graph Thesis – Post-Launch Debriefing

After a long, arduous process, I successfully finished and presented my thesis project. The days leading up to the show were incredibly stressful, but I'm elated with the results; many visitors were enthralled in the exhibit's contents and engaged in excellent discussions with me. It was far more well-received than I anticipated; it was even recognized as the first runner-up in the eyes of the thesis show participants!

In summary, it's been a wild ride, and I can't wait to give the project a second life online through Behance and my website. I'll need to edit a few photos and video clips first, but I'll post a few finished ones here.

And what will become of this blog? Well, with my classes over, I'll more than likely use it for other updates. Personal work, big announcements, and other glimpses into wherever the winds take me.

When the Voyager probes had successfully documented the gas giants in our solar system, they didn't stop there; NASA sent them beyond the solar system onto other big ventures. In the same way, the next chapter is filled with possibilities, and I'm excited to see where things go.

Thanks for journeying 12 billion million miles with me, and I look forward to many more!

Ad/Graph Thesis – Drawing to a Close

Last week, I promised that I'd make an enormous amount of progress leading up to this post. And that I did.

The exhibit is almost completely finished, save for a few minor antenna decorations, a sign, and some of the items that will go inside. All in all, though, the bulk of the work is over.

As suggested above, I've begun to shift my focus to populating each of the compartments with items, sounds, images, and so on. My goal is to fill as many as possible by Thursday in order to give the faculty enough examples. If all goes well, my project might be accepted into the show, and I can put the finishing touches on things.

Recording in the sound booth.

Painting the satellite dish.

Assembling the doors.

Attaching the side panels.

Piecing everything together.

I'm almost there. I can't wait to see what happens. Regardless of the outcome, I'm ecstatic with everything that I've already accomplished.

Ad/Graph Thesis – Construction

Last week, I mentioned that I had acquired a variety of materials for creating this exhibit. Unfortunately, most of that wood won't be "up to par" after talking with the people in the Fabrication Lab, a fact that I wish I could've found out sooner. After some improvisation, I've made some small adjustments to my design and materials to make everything lighter, faster to schedule and cut, and more expendable if something breaks or simply doesn't look right. I've also been making adjustments to accommodate for a lazy Susan, an iPad Mini, and a few pigeonholes of various sizes.

I've begun cutting and assembling some of the components (with the help of family, of course), namely the 24 pigeonholes and doors. I still have a large amount of work ahead of me, but it's nice to finally get into production.

Here are the pigeonholes. Note the varying depths.

Here are the pigeonholes. Note the varying depths.

I've also been hard at work sourcing some of the human experiences that are going behind the doors. One of the biggest undertakings is recording greetings in various languages, which has required me to record bilingual students in the sound booth. I'm planning on including English, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Vietnamese, Arabic, and Latin.

I mentioned working on some branding elements. The iconography will be depicted on the doors, with each representing a different category of human experience: sound, sight, taste, touch, smell, and knowledge/abstract thought.

Over the next week, I should have the bulk of my exhibit constructed. When that's finished, I can focus more of my energy on populating each of the doors with all of the little things.

Ad/Graph Thesis – Materials

Last week, I said that I'd get my plans together and begin the next step in this project. Since then, there have been a few big developments.

Firstly, I'm making headway on the materials and construction front. I've talked with an Industrial Design major, and it sounds like the CNC machine and laser cutter should be able to handle the 30-degree angles I need to cut to create a hexagonal structure. Additionally, I've acquired most of the wood and Masonite I plan to use.

It's also worth noting that I've received my light-sensitive sound modules in the mail. It took some time to get one of the devices to work, but it's working nonetheless. My only complaint is that the speakers aren't incredibly loud, but I might be able to boost the sound with some more experimentation.

I also had the opportunity to Skype with the director of Earth Tapestry. He said that one of the biggest flaws with the Voyager Golden Record was that all of the graphics and information are placed together in a chaotic fashion, rather than in a controlled, easy-to-understand sequence. That's something that I hope to address with this project.

Lastly, I've officially applied for the show, detailing everything from measurements to requests. Although the designs haven't differed much from last week, I'll post them again. Note the addition of a lazy Susan, varied shelf depths, and a slot for an iPad Mini to be included behind one of the doors.

Over the course of this next week, I hope to begin cutting the pieces, sourcing some of the media that will be behind the doors, and possibly creating some of the project's branding elements. Things are getting busy.