Ad/Graph Thesis – Drawing to a Close

Last week, I promised that I'd make an enormous amount of progress leading up to this post. And that I did.

The exhibit is almost completely finished, save for a few minor antenna decorations, a sign, and some of the items that will go inside. All in all, though, the bulk of the work is over.

As suggested above, I've begun to shift my focus to populating each of the compartments with items, sounds, images, and so on. My goal is to fill as many as possible by Thursday in order to give the faculty enough examples. If all goes well, my project might be accepted into the show, and I can put the finishing touches on things.

Recording in the sound booth.

Painting the satellite dish.

Assembling the doors.

Attaching the side panels.

Piecing everything together.

I'm almost there. I can't wait to see what happens. Regardless of the outcome, I'm ecstatic with everything that I've already accomplished.

Ad/Graph Thesis – Construction

Last week, I mentioned that I had acquired a variety of materials for creating this exhibit. Unfortunately, most of that wood won't be "up to par" after talking with the people in the Fabrication Lab, a fact that I wish I could've found out sooner. After some improvisation, I've made some small adjustments to my design and materials to make everything lighter, faster to schedule and cut, and more expendable if something breaks or simply doesn't look right. I've also been making adjustments to accommodate for a lazy Susan, an iPad Mini, and a few pigeonholes of various sizes.

I've begun cutting and assembling some of the components (with the help of family, of course), namely the 24 pigeonholes and doors. I still have a large amount of work ahead of me, but it's nice to finally get into production.

Here are the pigeonholes. Note the varying depths.

Here are the pigeonholes. Note the varying depths.

I've also been hard at work sourcing some of the human experiences that are going behind the doors. One of the biggest undertakings is recording greetings in various languages, which has required me to record bilingual students in the sound booth. I'm planning on including English, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Vietnamese, Arabic, and Latin.

I mentioned working on some branding elements. The iconography will be depicted on the doors, with each representing a different category of human experience: sound, sight, taste, touch, smell, and knowledge/abstract thought.

Over the next week, I should have the bulk of my exhibit constructed. When that's finished, I can focus more of my energy on populating each of the doors with all of the little things.